Home → VA Prosthetics → VA Handbook 1173.4 - Automotive Adaptive Equipment → Purchase of a Vehicle
4.13. Purchase of a Vehicle
a. Prorate the reimbursable amounts authorized for adaptive equipment when used vehicles are purchased. Used vehicles will be prorated by reducing the standard equipment reimbursable amount for like items by 10 percent per year with a residual value of 10 percent for vehicles 10 years old or older. Invoices or bills of sale used to substantiate vehicle purchases must list the items of adaptive equipment on the vehicle.
b. If for some reason the window sticker is not available, an itemized invoice may be used to substantiate the purchase of the vehicle and the items of automobile adaptive equipment purchased. Subject to the following limitations, reimbursement should not be made in amounts exceeding the "sticker price" levels:
(1) If the equipment is listed as standard on the window sticker and no price is given, the amount payable will be the "Standard Equipment Reimbursable Amount" listed in the current VHA Directive. Rebates, discounts, etc., will not affect the reimbursable amounts for eligible veterans.
(2) If the window sticker price is available, the amount payable will not exceed the "Maximum Sticker Reimbursable Amount" listed in the current VHA directive on this subject.
(3) If no window sticker is available and an itemized invoice is used, and the item is indicated in Edmund's New Car Prices or other similar established reference guides as standard equipment, the reimbursable amounts will be the "Standard Equipment Reimbursable Amount" listed in the current copy of the VHA Directive.
(4) If the item is not standard, the invoice amount may be paid, but will not exceed the "Maximum Sticker Reimbursable Amount" listed in the current VHA directive on this subject.
(5) If the item is not standard and the item is not on the VHA directive, such as a raised roof, air conditioning (after market installation), then an invoice needs to be obtained from the dealer or vehicle conversion company substantiating the cost to be reimbursed.
c. Eligible veterans may be provided automobile adaptive equipment for any non-service connected disability of a veteran who is already eligible for adaptive equipment because of service connected disabilities or eligible through 38 U.S.C Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation.