The mission of the VHA SCI/D System of Care is to support, promote, and maintain the health, independence, quality of life, and productivity of individuals with SCI/D throughout their lives. This is accomplished through:
- The efficient delivery of rehabilitation;
- Sustaining medical and surgical care;
- Patient and family education;
- Psychological, social, and vocational care;
- Education; and
- Professional training in the continuum of care for persons with SCI/D. NOTE: Quality of care is monitored through multiple mechanisms.