1.3. The Overall Process
The Basic Steps to Mobility
- Step by Step guide to the process of getting your wheelchair
- Dowloadable checklist of The Basic Steps to Mobility
The Step-by-Step Process of Getting Your Wheelchair
2) Gather Your Wheelchair Team
- Find a Physician, Clinician, and Supplier who will make up your wheelchair team
- Connect with Consumer Organizations
3) Get a Prescription and Complete Your Wheelchair Evaluation and Assessment
- Get a prescription from a doctor for a wheelchair evaluation
- Schedule a wheelchair evaluation at a clinic
- Attend the evaluation and decide which wheelchair and cushion that work best for you
4) Finding Funding - How you will pay for your Wheelchair
- The therapist writes up a justification letter for your wheelchair to the insurance company
- The supplier submits the claim to the insurance company
- The insurance company either approves it or denies your claim for a wheelchair
- If traditional funding sources do not cover your wheelchair then you pursue alternative approaches to funding
5) Ordering Your Wheelchair
- Once payment for your wheelchair is approved (through insurance or another source), your supplier orders your wheelchair from a wheelchair manufacturer. The wheelchair manufacturer is the company that actually makes the chair.
6) Equipment Delivery
- Once the wheelchair is received by the supplier they will let the clinic know
- The clinic should call you to schedule an appointment for delivery
- You attend the delivery appointment and make sure you have the equipment you need.
These steps will be explained in more detail later in the Map. If you would like to keep track of your path through the Mobility Map on paper, download a printable 'Basic Steps to Mobility Checklist' below.