8.1. Power Wheelchair Information
Click on the PDF below for a slideshow that will cover the following topics along with photos.
Specific Considerations for Power Wheelchairs
- There are different kinds of power bases that maneuver according to their type:
- Front-wheel drive, mid-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive
- They each have benefits and drawbacks
- It is up to you and your team to decide which type works best for you
- Joystick or specialty controls
- Be sure you can control the chair with your hand using a Joystick or with specialty controls that can be located anywhere you have consistent body movement (head, mouth, foot)
- Operate the chair in any position
- Be sure you can operate the chair in any position (tilt, recline, standing)
- Know power options
- Be sure you know how to use the different power options (tilt, recline, seat elevation, elevating leg-rests, standing)
- Have a pressure relief plan
- Be sure you have a Pressure Relief plan (ability to achieve pressure relief using planned method). For example: leaning forward, tilting the seat back, lifting yourself up with your arms, standing, leaning to one side.