4.2. Ultralight Wheelchair Skills: From Rehab to Real World
Presented on November 8, 2011 at Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA as part of the Northwest Regional Spinal Cord Injury System's SCI Forum presentations
Learn the skills you need to successfully navigate your ultralight manual wheelchair in a variety of situations and environments so you can more fully participate in the activities you enjoy. In this video, physical therapist Elisa Smith, DPT, of Harborview Medical Center provides practical tips and explanations for learning and perfecting wheelchair skills, including wheelies for curbs and maneuvering in small spaces, on gravel roads, up and down hills, and more. Wheelchair users with spinal cord injuries are shown demonstrating several of these skills.
Click here to read the written report.
The Empowerment Project Videos
Learn proper techniques for performing manual wheelchair skills and managing different kinds of terrain so you can be as independent as possible in your life. These short videos will show you how.
- Video 1: Introduction to Wheelchair Skills
- Video 2: Wheelie in Place
- Video 3: Wheelie Pop-Ups
- Video 4: Forward in a Wheelie
- Video 5: Grass to Sidewalk
- Video 6: Turning in Tight Spaces
- Video 7: Wheeling Across Grass
- Video 8: Managing Potholes
- Video 9: Crossing Raised Obstacles
- Video 10: Down a Ramp in a Wheelie
- Video 11: Curbs and Steps