HomeMilitary Separation Guide for Active Duty PersonnelGetting OutTransition Assistance Program (TAP)

1.3. Transition Assistance Program (TAP)

The Transition Assistance Program (TAP) for the active component service consists of the following:

  1. Mandatory pre-separation counseling.
    Department of Labor (DOL) TAP employment workshops.
  2. Veterans benefits briefings conducted by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
  3. Disabled Transition Assistance Program (DTAP), which is also facilitated by the VA and is designed to focus on the special needs of disabled service members.

The transition process begins with the completion of the DD Form 2648 ("Pre-separation Counseling Checklist"). The checklist allows you to indicate the benefits and services that you wish to receive additional counseling for. All separating and retiring service members should make an appointment to see their local transition counselor for information on transition services and benefits. Transition counselors are located in the following military installation offices:

Army: Army Career and Alumni Program (ACAP). See www.acap.army.mil/.

Air Force: Airman and Family Readiness Center. See www.militaryinstallations.dod.mil.

Navy: Fleet and Family Support Center. Navy personnel should make an appointment with their command career counselor for a pre-separation counseling interview at least 180 days prior to separation. See http://www.nffsp.org/.

Marine Corps: Career Resource Management Center (CRMC)/Transition & Employment Assistance Program Center.
See www.usmc-mccs.org/tamp/index.cfm.

Coast Guard: Worklife Division––Coast Guard Worklife staff can be found at the nearest Integrated Support Command.

In order to effectively plan for your transition from military service to civilian life, you should consider the following.

Think of your transition to civilian life as a journey on which you can use your individual transition plan as a road map. Your transition assistance counselor can help you address the foregoing points, as well as getting assistance in dealing with the stress that can result from life-altering changes and are a natural part of the transition process. Please remember that you are eligible for continued transition assistance for up to 180 days after your separation or retirement from active duty.

This page was: Helpful | Not Helpful