HomeMilitary Separation Guide for Active Duty PersonnelGeneral Information Separating Service MembersRelocation Asssistance

3.7. Relocation Asssistance

An important part of your transition from military service will be deciding where you want to reside as a civilian. During the transition process, you will receive a lot of information and counseling to assist you in making this critical decision.

You should start thinking about where you would like to live and be sure to keep in mind such factors as whether the kind of jobs that you are interested in will be available in that area. Which areas are most likely to have jobs that match your skills, experience, and career goals? What is the cost of living in the community that you choose? Does the state that you select tax military retirement pay? Do you already have family and/or friends there? These and similar concerns should be evaluated carefully.

Before moving, be sure to consult your nearest Family Center, which is an excellent source for relocation information and planning assistance. Family Centers can be accessed through:

Army: Army Community Service Center
Air Force: Airman & Family Readiness Center
Navy: Fleet and Family Support Center
Marine Corps: Marine and Family Services

Specialists within the Relocation Assistance Program (RAP) can help to prepare you for your relocation after leaving active service. RAP services include needs assessment and planning for individuals and families tailored to their personal circumstances and requirements and extensive information concerning military and civilian communities worldwide. See www.militaryhomefront.dod.mil. These features include information on housing directories and services, employment, education, health and wellness, as well as family services available near military installations. RAP specialists can also assist you in developing a relocation plan. Once you know your departure date, visit the RAP office at your local Family Center.

This page was: Helpful | Not Helpful