HomeMilitary Separation Guide for Active Duty PersonnelGeneral Information Separating Service MembersAuthorized Leave / Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY)

3.8. Authorized Leave / Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY)

When you are ready to begin searching for a post-separation job or housing, to facilitate relocation you may be eligible for authorized administrative leave. Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY) authority to facilitate transition into civilian life for house and job hunting for military members being involuntarily separated under honorable conditions, or retiring from active duty, can be extended indefinitely. Personnel being discharged or released from active service as involuntary separatees under honorable conditions can receive up to 30 days of leave, or transition PTDY up to 10 days, as required to facilitate relocation. However, such leave may not be available if it will interfere with military missions.

The spouse of an eligible involuntary separatee or a retiree may take one round trip on a military aircraft for house and job hunting on a space-available basis. He or she does not have to be accompanied by a military spouse. Similarly, if you are attending a DoD-approved transition assistance seminar, you may use military air transportation, if available.

Service members separating at the end of a normal term of service (ETS – Expiration Term of Service) or (EAOS – End of Active Duty Obligated Service) are not eligible for PTDY.

This page was: Helpful | Not Helpful