2.3. Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) Director
The VISN Director, or designee, provides a critical juncture in implementation and support of the national SCI/D System of Care, balancing needs for local responsiveness with timely and full access with national consistency and coordination. The VISN Director is responsible for:
- Supporting all components and services in the SCI/D system and continuum of care described in this Handbook;
- Facilitating smooth and efficient transfers for care between VA facilities (See subpar. 13. d.);
- Providing and facilitating necessary communication, resources, and quality improvement efforts to maintain expertise and quality services;
- Facilitating travel and access to SCI Center services in the designated SCI catchment area, in accordance with national policy for inter-facility transfers, established criteria for travel eligibility, and use of hardship criteria, as appropriate.
- Facilitating VHA required continuing education of VHA health care providers about the SCI/D System of Care and SCI/D health care issues; and
- Submitting proposed changes to the SCI/D System of Care for review and approval through the SCI/D Services Chief Consultant (11S), Chief Patient Care Services Officer (11), Deputy Under Secretary for Health for Operations and Management (10N), and Principal Deputy Under Secretary for Health (10A) before forwarding to the Under Secretary for Health for approval.